Decades before the mainstream discovered the power of affirmation in healing the mind and the body, Paramahansa Yogananda was teaching rapt audiences around the country how to directly access and apply the remarkable healing powers hidden within every human being.
In his pioneering book, Scientific Healing Affirmations, Paramahansaji said:
Words saturated with sincerity, conviction, faith, and intuition are like highly explosive vibration bombs, which, when set off, shatter the rocks of difficulties and create the change desired….Sincere words or affirmations repeated understandingly, feelingly, and willingly are sure to move the Omnipresent Cosmic Vibratory Force to render aid in your difficulty. Appeal to that Power with infinite confidence, casting out all doubt; otherwise the arrow of your attention will be deflected from its mark.
“After you have sown in the soil of Cosmic Consciousness your vibratory prayer-seed, do not pluck it out frequently to see whether or not it has germinated. Give the divine forces a chance to work uninterruptedly.
Select an Affirmation
It is most effective to practice affirmations immediately after awakening in the morning or just before going to sleep at night. Before beginning an affirmation, it is important to sit in the correct meditation posture, on a chair or firm surface. The spine should be held erect, and the eyes closed, concentrating on the medulla oblongata at the back of the neck. Free the mind from restless thoughts and worries.
Select one of the following affirmations and repeat all of it, first loudly, then softly and more slowly, until your voice becomes a whisper. Then gradually affirm it mentally only until you feel that you have attained deep, unbroken concentration. As you experience an increasing peace make the effort to deepen your concentration that you may enter into the superconscious realm and manifest your affirmations.
- I am submerged in eternal light. It permeates every particle of my being. I am living in that light. The Divine Spirit fills me within and without.
- God is within and around me, protecting me; so I will banish the fear that shuts out His guiding light.
- This divine light is present in all my body parts.I am well.
- I know that God’s power is limitless; and as I am made in His image, I, too, have the strength to overcome all obstacles.
- I relax and cast aside all mental burdens, allowing God to express through me His perfect love, peace, and wisdom.
The selections featured here are excerpted from Paramahansa Yogananda’s books,Scientific Healing Affirmations and Metaphysical Meditations.